Change Impact Assessment
Change Impact Assessment best practice is used to prepare for transformation, and to identify gaps in expected performance models. Identifying the needs in relation to attitudes, skills, abilities, and/or organizational structure is a critical first step in any change, learning, or strategy initiative. This will expose a refined understanding of the gap between current and future state models, thus, allowing for the development of better aligned infrastructure, process, competencies and business strategy.
A Sound Assessment-Gap Analysis Is (a method to):
• Identify key needs supporting effective planning and implementation of initiatives.
• Identify the gaps between actual (current state) and desired (future state) performance.
• Identify development needs.
A Sound Assessment-Gap Analysis Is Not:
• A solution. It provides input for a solution, to be integrated with other inputs, to develop a practical solution.
• A generalized approach. An effective assessment/gap analysis should be shaped to the specific issue, area, and required solution.
• Merely a task in a change management effort. An Assessment/Gap analysis should be approached as its own project.
Best Practice Implementation Considerations
Following these steps will promote a more clearly defined set of future state deliverables for any type of people, process, technology, and organization project:
• Data collection
• Data stratification
• Data validation
• Gap Analysis
• Recommendations report
• Project Strategy
Best Practice Summary
By following a disciplined Assessment/Gap analysis process, the steps to a successful solution become clear. A sound and effective process also requires rigorous communication and buy-in from management and employees across the enterprise.
Once you implement a solution, evaluate your efforts to ensure:
• You are meeting your stated objectives.
• You are closing the workforce, process, practice, and culture gaps.
• The process improvements you have established as part of the plan are being constantly evaluated.
• The cost effectiveness of the solutions.
• Internal and external clients and the organization as a whole are benefiting from the solution and its inherent deliverables.
By creating a “snapshot” of the organization, an Assessment/Gap analysis offers invaluable information to aid in the development of effective business solutions. Upon refinement of the “out-put” data, you can move to implementation of the “future state” needs via the Project Execution Plan.
Customize your Consulting Experience
- Leverage executive level practitioners
- Benefit from benchmark research
- Gain insight from cross-industry experience
- Measure results via our project based engagement process
- Collaborate within our teach/learn/apply approach
Support your Talent
- PMI – Project Management Institute
- IIBA – International Institute of Business Analysis
- SHRM – Society of Human Resource Management
- ATD – Association of Talent Development