Best Practice Overview
To prepare for transformation, an Assessment identifying the needs in relation to attitudes, skills, abilities, and/or organizational structure is a critical first step in any change, learning, or strategy initiative. This will expose a refined understanding of the gap between current and future state models, thus, allowing for the development of better aligned infrastructure, process, competencies and business strategy.
A Sound Assessment-Gap Analysis Is (a method to):
• Identify key needs supporting effective planning and implementation of initiatives.
• Identify the gaps between actual (current state) and desired (future state) performance.
• Identify development needs.
A Sound Assessment-Gap Analysis Is Not:
• A solution. It provides input for a solution, to be integrated with other inputs, to develop a practical solution.
• A generalized approach. An effective assessment/gap analysis should be shaped to the specific issue, area, and required solution.
• Merely a task in a change management effort. An Assessment/Gap analysis should be approached as its own project.
Best Practice Implementation Considerations
Following these steps will promote a more clearly defined set of future state deliverables for any type of people, process, technology, and organization project:
• Data collection
• Data stratification
• Data validation
• Gap Analysis
• Recommendations report
• Project Strategy
Best Practice Summary
By following a disciplined Assessment/Gap analysis process, the steps to a successful solution become clear. A sound and effective process also requires rigorous communication and buy-in from management and employees across the enterprise.
Once you implement a solution, evaluate your efforts to ensure:
• You are meeting your stated objectives.
• You are closing the workforce, process, practice, and culture gaps.
• The process improvements you have established as part of the plan are being constantly evaluated.
• The cost effectiveness of the solutions.
• Internal and external clients and the organization as a whole are benefiting from the solution and its inherent deliverables.
By creating a “snapshot” of the organization, an Assessment/Gap analysis offers invaluable information to aid in the development of effective business solutions. Upon refinement of the “out-put” data, you can move to implementation of the “future state” needs via the Project Execution Plan.