Technology Roadmaps are a tool used to accomplish accurate planning with the focus on achieving short and long-term business goals, by optimizing technology platforms across the enterprise. The approach represents a structured methodology for exploring and planning relationships between system functionality, organizational requirements, integrating Generative AI, and alignment to growth/scale models within a technology-based architecture.
Best Practice Implementation Considerations
- Phase 1: Scale – Enterprise Systems Architecture Analysis
Scale matters to all businesses, regardless of size, because without the ability to scale, you also have no ability to grow. Technology should enable scale and should do so by adding value. “Value to Scale,” is your first step toward defining exactly what your organization “needs” to meet the goals of your baseline technology platforms. It is in this analysis that will help determine the “what.” To define the “what” you need to have a clear vision of the objectives you want to accomplish and thus a refined technology plan to understand cross functional business process and how to enable them.
- Phase 2: Adoption – Enterprise Systems Architecture Use Case Modeling
Once we define the “what” we can focus on the “why.” Ask yourself, “why do we need to enhance, change, and/or reengineer our existing technology roadmap.” The reflection that comes from this exercise will provide clarity about the technology driven objectives you want to accomplish. (Cross functionally). These objectives must be strategic and cut across your business. Subject areas like growth, diversification, talent management, and many more will come up in this conversation. Use Case Modeling provides a simulated perspective upon which decisions can be made and creates transparency for cross-departmental value recognition.
- Phase 3: Integration – Enterprise Systems Architecture Change Management (This takes place after the initial 2 phases and will be scoped independently as it is dependent on the output of phase 1 and 2).
Best Practice Summary
Scale and Adoption review efforts should have provided a clear picture of what and why, but now we need to define the “how.” There are two sides to this effort, the technology platform side, and the change/impact side. We will utilize the Use Case modeling from the Scale and Adoption phases to “prove” systems, architecture, and functionality across the enterprise and begin wholesale changes to reorganize the architecture driven by established business goals.
Customize your Consulting Experience
- Align Subject Matter Experts with your Industry, Region, and Culture
- Benefit from Benchmark Research
- Gain Insight from our Cross-Industry Experience
- Measure Results via our Collaborative Engagement Model
- “Own Your Knowledge” with our Teach/Learn/Practice/Apply, Approach
- Accelerate Individual Growth with Performance Coaching
- Supplement with Professional Development Training