Strategy Design has become a mission critical activity for organizations that want to succeed in the current business environment. Constructing a methodology to address the key principles involved in strategic planning can provide you with the needed structure to execute and measure the ROI of the deliverables upon execution.
AMS executive level consultants have facilitated strategy design and development sessions for organizations of all sizes both domestically and globally. This experience and cross-industry awareness helps to leverage trends and more critically, build an “outside of the boardroom” perspective. Many planning sessions do not produce innovative outcomes because the perspectives of the contributors are unchallenged, uninformed or slanted by agendas. In order to produce clear strategy that can be disseminated into actionable, measurable and scalable plans, you must integrate a wide angle perspective from the start.
Best Practice Implementation Considerations
Our structured approach to the planning process addresses the following environmental factors that will set the framework around the planning process:
- Ensuring your team understands the strategic planning process and purpose
- Identify the steps to break out of the old paradigms during planning.
- Explore culture and applied strategic planning to ensure your sphere of perspective is unlimited.
- Conduct a strategic planning needs assessment to ensure we are building “new” strategy not recycling the old.
- Perform a stakeholder analysis to ensure the wider organization is applicable to change.
- Formulate a mission statement to support the efforts.
- Build a foundation using business modeling that depicts the current, the transformational, and future state.
- Conduct a SWOT analysis to validate the needs.
- Conduct a gap analysis to identify the space between the current and future state.
- Integrate action plans to support execution of the needed change.
- Conduct contingency planning in the know reality of agility along the way.
Once the environmental aspects of the planning process are in place we can identify the areas it will be best suited to integrate:
- Strategic to support the Mission and Vision.
- Operational to support the macro development and roll-out for implementation.
- Tactical to drive individual projects that roll-up to the macro plan.
Best Practice Summary
The strategy planning process is not an activity that is restricted to the boardroom, any longer. In fact, most progressive organizations leverage a form of strategic planning throughout all levels of the company. This activity is supported by skills such as strategic thinking, root cause analysis, and problem solving and is driven by good communications and networking presence.
Customize your Consulting Experience
- Leverage executive level practitioners
- Benefit from benchmark research
- Gain insight from cross-industry experience
- Measure results via our project based engagement process
- Collaborate within our teach/learn/apply approach