Project Recovery and Intervention best practices are elements of a methodology to identify key recovery deliverables to impact the path of the project. Experience has taught us that a sound and successful recovery approach requires a holistic perspective resulting in solutions that impact Project Management, Stakeholder Management, Execution Planning, People Management, and Organizational Culture.
The methodology and its best practices are designed to realign and redirect projects that exhibit telltale signs of distress, as well as those that are in full-blown crisis mode. This practical approach has been time tested on project and program recovery efforts of all types and sizes for a global client base avoiding project failure and saving organizations millions of dollars in direct cost and cost avoidance.
Best Practice Implementation Considerations
The application of actions within a recovery process will differ depending on your organization’s requirements and the project-program type. Initial focus areas typically include:
- Assessment of the project’s original goals and expectations
- Current state of the project’s goals and expectations and their constraints to execution
- Project team engagement and interviewing
- Functional Mapping of the required vs existing roles and responsibilities
- Assessment of the project’s Execution Planning elements and strategy alignment to goals and expectations
- Assessment of salvageable objectives vs project schedule tradeoffs
- Realignment of a targeted execution strategy for scope, cost, and schedule, control
- Stakeholder agreement on realigned execution approach
- Training, mentoring, coaching and oversight services
- Formal project closeout and organizational lessons learned process
Best Practice Summary
The longer a project exists in a distressed state, the probability of unintended consequences affecting the project increases, resulting in impacts including major cost and schedule overruns, attrition, team demoralization and myriad impact across organizational strata. Our team of senior experts are versed in identifying execution constraints and developing and implementing recovery best practices for specific project requirements, restoring progress, expectations team esteem and organizational success.
Customize your Consulting Experience
- Leverage executive level practitioners
- Benefit from benchmark research
- Gain insight from cross-industry experience
- Measure results via our project based engagement process
- Collaborate within our teach/learn/apply approach